Take me to church.

So Brian and I are once again on a journey to find a church.

This experience differs greatly from the first time we tried this in that, this time, we have a two-year-old and two-month-old in tow. In other words, we are venturing to find a place where we can reflect and commune with others... while finding a way not to use the Lord's name in vain as we balance a bottle, "quiet toys", and the ever-elusive... "oh no... which one was that?!" diaper debacle.

Our prior adventure took place soon after we were married, while living in Oak Creek. We experienced, and I do mean experienced because LORD that was a ride... 9 churches. Yes, nine. This was such an 'interesting' journey that I took notes after each. Not pro/con notes. More like "I can't believe that I witnessed that" notes...

Here's a synopsis:

Church 1: With barely a foot in the door, a church member yelled out "WE HAVE A VISITOR!". Not for long...

Church 2: If the neon lights and rock band weren't enough to call it quits, the angry family in front of us who couldn't get off of their phones, while simultaneously bad-mouthing each other, would have been.

Church 3: Brian and I brought the average age of this congregation down to approximately 70 years old...Their obsession with specifically converting the Chinese also concerned me.

Church 4: This pastor prided himself in TACKLING a child at a summer camp who was 'possessed with demons as the demons attempted to drown the child in the lake'... I like football on Sunday, but being tackled doesn't sound enticing to me.

Church 5: The size of the church and its jumbo-tron continued the football analogy, but I believe it was the draw of its $4 fried chicken special in its hospital-sized cafeteria that made me wonder if I was actually in a church.

Church 6: The pastor seemed so kind, but his unfortunate stutter & attempt at a long-winded baseball analogy caused this one to strike out.

Church 7: This one took the cake! We may have taken a wrong turn at Woodstock because clothing was being lost and barefoot dancing commenced. It was my near concussion from a woman swinging around in circles in front of me, however, that led us to actually walk out of this service...

Church 8: Joan Rivers led the barefoot rock band, and I love Joan, don't get me wrong, but from the pulpit, this pastor chose to inform us: "Forget burning the Bible; those Muslims will try to burn you!" that had us scanning for an exit, but all of them seemed to be blocked...

Church 9: We finally found our home at Faith Community Church in Franklin. Jonah was dedicated  there. We became members. It was a lovely place with lovely people... and then we moved.

So this Sunday, we finally bit the bullet and ventured out with both boys to try to find a new spiritual home for us. You can now imagine our hesitation...

Though Jonah apparently wanted to speak in tongues rather than listen to the pastor (see Brian walking laps with Jonah outside the sanctuary), we felt so welcomed & so inspired. I always appreciate feeling welcomed rather than being forced to "feel" welcome on other people's terms.

The pastor had many beautiful things to say that I'm still unpacking for myself, but two points that he made really stuck out for me, and so I hoped to share them here.

He presented the topic of difficulties in our lives--no matter the scale--and he asked the following question:

When you face challenges in life, do you...
a. try to fix your problem
b. run to God

This query stopped me in my tracks.

So often I think that I'm in control, and so I jog my memory for prior conflict resolution techniques because that's what 'smart' people do, right? Eventually I get around to God, but why do I still think I have this power?

Secondly, he elaborated further, before my brain could catch up:

"Even if you go to God, do you ask God to fix your problems or to walk through them with you?"

I'm typically a fan of the band aid approach: "God, can you just fix this so I can move on with my life?!"

Lately, though, I'm trying to simplify my prayers and acknowledge, to myself mostly, that I am not in control. My prayer is always: "Give me strength".

"Give me strength" covers the spectrum.

It covers the times Jonah thinks that screaming will solve his problems.

It covers the times Brian thinks I can read his mind...

It covers those times I know I'm being a pint-person, but I claim ignorance.

It even covers the times when I've awaited crucial medical information.

No matter how much I try to hide my head in the sand about it, all the lessons and values I've acquired in life have come from learning lessons through the journey, not by having it patched up for me. It's always more difficult, but it tends to be equally as rewarding.

Here's to knowing God as my walking buddy,


Kristy


Comments

Popular Posts