Big + buffer Goals: Part 2



In my previous blog post, "Do You Know Your Big and buffer Goals?", I dug into this idea that our goals can exist as a spectrum rather than a single focus. Big goals are our traditional one-stop-shop statements of what we want to achieve, while buffer goals are a simpler but similar goal on the "lighter" end of that spectrum of success. 

As I aim for my end-of-summer word, "balanced", I began to identify each of the roles I take on in daily life and started jotting out a Big and buffer goal for each of those roles. In the last post, I unpacked my goals for self-care. 

I have to say that doing so has REALLY helped me narrow my focus of what self-care means for me. I don't need a lot of doing or "things" to reset and feel fulfilled; I need quiet time and physical activity. Identifying my definition of self-care has made all the difference--it truly feels like self-care rather than self-loathing for not participating in all of the activities others consider to be their versions of self-care. This initial unpacking really got me moving into some deeper thoughts and ideas which, for me, always progresses into some kind of table or chart for visually representing what's swirling in my head. 

 I landed on this so far: 

Role

Big Goal/ 

buffer Goal

S

M

T

W

Th

F

Sa

Self

B: Intentional workout 3-4 days/week; get quiet 2-3 days/week


b: Keep moving everyday; get quiet 1-2 days/week




++

++

++

+

+


To make this easy and something I can stick to, all I do is add a "+" beneath the day for each time I made (what I considered) intentional effort toward that spectrum of goals. 

Each plus sign could end up representing 30 minutes of time spent toward that goal, but that's too much for me to remember, and I'm not sure I need that specific of data, because my goal is simply to find balance. By adding "+" during or at the end of each day (or the next morning when I likely forget), I can begin to see where I'm giving my energy and where I'm not. 


3 Things I've Noticed So Far: 

1. If my "+" signs are imbalanced, I, too, feel imbalanced, but now I can see why. 

2. This chart has the best impact when I add the plus signs at/before the middle of the day, because I  can "course correct" right then and there. 

3. Being a blended parent means that my roles ebb and flow based on when our kids are here. I obviously knew that, but when I see it on paper, I realize just how much it impacts how balanced I truly feel. I'm beginning to see how I can make small shifts to balance my "scales".


Like I share in Decision Permission (and we'll focus on at The Morning Blend on August 1st!), mindset only shifts when you change your practices THEN highlight positive outcomes.

I can see how this new practice of mine is going to slowly grow and yet stay simple enough that it is more ritual than routine. Looking forward to sharing more along this summer journey!



Do you have your end of summer feeling in mind? 

Thinking about how you can develop your own Big and buffer goals?

Email me at kj.kristyjean@gmail.com or message me on Instagram @KJKristyJean, and I'd be happy to talk it out with you. :)



Here's to knowing your needs before you try to meet them,


Kristy Jean



Comments

Popular Posts