Change the World

As a new school year begins, I am eager to meet my students and reacquaint myself with some of the loveliest people you will ever encounter--my colleagues.

I look forward to sitting down with the various teams (PLCs for those accustomed to education's overdose on acronyms) I have the great fortune to work with. Whether it's Melissa's endless creativity that drives us in those timely slumps or Bonny's interpretive performances of behaviors she's witnessed, I never know exactly what will inspire me & drive me forward & make me fall off of my chair laughing, and for that I am so so grateful.

And as excited as I am to meet my new students & learn alongside them, I'm equally eager to hear Bonny playing "Reveille" (the traditional alarm clock of campers everywhere) on her trumpet to get them back out the door!

I wake up each day feeling blessed knowing that my choice in career is where I encounter these passionate, inspiring people.

It must have been my reunion with my colleagues last week that led me to stumble across an insightful blog entry by Dale Partridge: co-founder of Sevenly.com and author of People Over Profit.

On their site, Sevenly.com capture their focus: "Every week Sevenly partners with a different charity, creating unique art and limited edition products that we sell exclusively on sevenly.org. For every item sold, Sevenly donates to a designated charity."

It's a site with an inspirational mission & Dale Partridge's recent post eerily aligned with my return to school & why I do what I do.

"4 Signs You're Meant to Change the World" by Dale Partridge

1. Remember who you are before the world tells you who you should be.
"Life is the most difficult exam of all. Many people fail because they try to copy others not realizing everyone is answering different questions."

2. Don't pray for an easy life; pray for the strength to endure a difficult one.

3. Doubt is more dangerous than uncertainty.
  "But remember, it’s not our responsibility to remove the uncertainty. It’s our responsibility to bring clarity into the midst of it."

4. Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behavior does.
"Direction, not intention determines your destination."

I appreciated that many of his points reflected those that I've already believed... even if his title doesn't quite match the points that he makes... English teacher habit...

On that note, my teacher conference recommendations would have included the following titles for revision:
"4 Pieces of Advice for Those Trying to Change the World"
"4 Core Beliefs of Those Who Have Changed the World"
"4 Things College Couldn't Teach Me."

Title aside, I really resonated with how he stated these beliefs. They seem to have the common thread of a life void of excuses and full of action. A life lived uniquely and fully and with intention (even if it doesn't always align with our actions...)

After reading his article, I still came back to that first point. I thought of my two little boys and how we foster their unique abilities & approach to life. How society seems to encourage individuality in childhood and yet bludgeon it out of us as we get older so that we fit a mold.

I value my colleagues as individuals, but also because they have the courage to face each day, changing the world and empowering young people to believe that they can do the same.


Here's to changing our own little worlds,


Kristy


Bonus! Here's Sir Ken Robinson making the case that schools (I would broaden that focus) kill creativity. So insightful. And it comes from a knight, so you know it's true. 


Comments

Popular Posts