My Top Ten List

Considering the whole "intention vs. impact" concept from my previous post, I began realizing that I do this. A LOT. I assume my intention comes across in my actions, but many times, it seems, the impact is quite different from what I intended.

So I did what I do when something creeps into my brain and makes a home for itself... I made a list.


Top Ten Ways My Intentions Don't Align with My Impact:

1. I talk too much. When I'm nervous, I talk too much. When I'm excited, I talk too much. When I don't know what to say... I talk. too. much. 

2. Sometimes I joke about things I'm subconsciously upset about, so it comes across as passive-aggressive because I don't realize I'm upset until the words have left my mouth...

3. I start and stop tasks and projects all. the. time. Sometimes I enter a room an hour later & am reminded of what I had started... glue gun is still plugged in, junk drawer is open and partially emptied, and for some unknown reason there is a bobby pin, rubber band, and pencil lying out... it's like McGyver swung by but didn't finish the job.

4. Cooking is both therapeutic & rewarding for me, but this is not so for those around me... nor my kitchen. I use every dish & every pan, and this is just for grilled cheese.  And somehow there's always marinara on the ceiling. I'm not kidding. One time Brian actually found spaghetti sauce at the point where the ceiling and wall meet.

5. Jonah + me + Pinterest projects = initial excitement (more on my part), Jonah's eventual loss of interest, and my frustration when my froggy puppet looks more like krap...than Kermit.

6. Anything that results in martyrdom. Enough said. 

7. Every time I try to achieve perfection, fooling myself that it is possible.

8. I avoid taking breaks because I think it makes me productive. Like when I rush from one thing to the next thinking that I'm being efficient, when really, I inevitably end up overwhelming myself with challenges that I created.

9. Anyone who knows me knows that I volunteer my time... a lot. Especially at school. I typically only take on those tasks that interest me & that I feel I can have a positive impact on, but I'm also notorious for biting off more than I can chew, which results in less than desired results.

10. Taking care of family & friends is a positive characteristic, but I can go... overboard. My dear friend Christine can attest to this. I'm like that Care.com commercial... before you know it, I'm cutting your food and tying your shoes. (The commercial is posted below. It's barely more than a minute, and it will help you realize that though I might not make things worse, I makes it a whole lotta awkward.)



I don't share this list as a form of self-deprication, but as proof to myself and others that every day carries with it the opportunity to ask yourself if your intentions are matching your impact.

Your reflections don't always have to result in life-changing a-ha moments, but they can offer a chance to laugh at yourself & possibly approach life a little differently.

But at the end of the day,






Here's to making an intentional impact,


Kristy

Comments

Popular Posts