When was the last time you felt CONTENT?

 



Content (adj.): "in a state of peaceful happiness."

synonyms: carefree, satisfied, pleased, fulfilled, present, calm, grateful, humble


I have faced many challenges in life that have led me to better understand what contentment is and what contentment is not.

One thing I've learned for sure is that I am the only one in control of my own contentment. I decide who and what I give permission to add to my contentment and who and what I allow to disrupt it. 

And it definitely doesn't come from an attempt to control people, events, or my surroundings--it's about letting go of that control and absorbing the moment, the hour, the day exactly as it is, grateful for the blessings & accepting of the challenges.

Contentment is not about achieving perfection. It's about setting down your anxieties, fears, and guilt to live in the present and know that this moment is enough.

Contentment comes when you stop setting expectations for what "should" be and begin enjoying life exactly as it is.

By this standard, I am working on finding contentment even when:

  • Construction is backing up traffic
  • It's a challenge to get out of bed and start my day
  • I am imperfect
  • People are imperfect 
  • Kids struggle to listen
  • Dishes are piling up
  • Another appliance breaks
  • The nightly news is heartbreaking

I can still make the intentional decision to Get Quiet and step away from the world to remember that absorbing my surroundings does not mean that I can control them.

All I can do is bring the best version of myself that day and try, try again.


  • When was the last time you felt content?
  • Has it been some time?
  • Why do you sacrifice contentment? Why do you think it helps anyone else? What fear does it feed?

Questions like these help me reset, and I hope they help you too.


Here's to allowing ourselves moments of contentment that become memories that build our lives,



Kristy Jean




definition: OED
image credit: https://www.slideshare.net/larrypasley/01-3116am-contentment



Comments

Popular Posts