I Heart TED

Who knew that twenty minutes or less could change your outlook on life? Regardless of what you're looking for--research, inspiration, food for thought--TED Talks are the prime source of real people sharing really amazing insight.

Even my students know I binge-watch TED Talks like there's no tomorrow. They are my metaphorical Pringles, so I have to be sure that I have a block of time to dedicate to my habit. Both boys must either be napping or in bed before I head over to TED or open that beautiful, bold, red-lettered app that glares at me each time I turn on a device.

I started small, watching the top ten recommended talks, but then there's this fantastic option on the app that simply says "surprise me", which is tempting to an information junky like me.

Of all the talks that I've watched and absorbed, there is only one that I have viewed over and over again for its humor & depth. Shawn Achor is a researcher/author/speaker... oh, and my life coach. His intelligence is only outweighed by his humorous delivery in his TED Talk. (see below)


In his talk, his primary goal is to share his research on happiness--that always elusive trait that we work so hard to grasp on a daily basis. I love his take on happiness being such a scientific and calculated process, since it is always considered such an emotional and uncontrollable part of life.

He boils down to five key choices that, according to the research, "happy" people participate in:

  1. Express 3 gratitudes each day. 
    • each day, reflect on 3 different aspects of life you're thankful for.
  2. Journal.
    • reflect through writing in any way that benefits you.
  3. Exercise.
    • this is a scientific no-brainer, but knowing it doesn't make it easier!
  4. Participate in random acts of kindness.
    • I believe the majority of us do this each day, but when you are more conscious about your acts and the impact is has on people, it does bring more awareness.
  5. Meditate.
    • I've always struggled with this one, but the one explanation of meditation that has made sense to me (and that I could handle with my hamster-on-a-wheel brain) was the following:
      • sit still in a quiet place
      • acknowledge thoughts as they come to your mind, but don't judge them or yourself
      • figuratively push each thought away & refocus on the nothingness 
I definitely don't find myself involved in all five of these every day (see raising a toddler and a newborn), but this was the first time that I was presented with choices that seemed tangible. 

You see, I am guilty of the snowball effect. When an idea comes to me (from Pinterest or otherwise...), I get excited! Then I start brainstorming! Then I begin to get overwhelmed by minor details.... then I get frustrated... then I make excuses... and, well, by this point, I'm on to a NEW idea!

These five points, however, were choices that I tend to already make here and there in my life, and it always feels good when you bring some background knowledge to the table!

I hope you can enjoy Shawn's energy and information as much as I have; he's great to follow on facebook as well--it's a nice pick-me-up each day. 

I never expect every moment of life to be "happy", but it's nice to have five choices in my back pocket that I can reach into on rainy days.


Kristy


These two lovely pieces of text are what helped me with an everyday approach to meditation:

Pema Chodron: Six Kinds of Loneliness (I want to be insider her brain)

It's a slow starter, but it's great once you get rolling:







Comments

Popular Posts