One Word Update: Sunday, May 17th


The Inner Voice - The Story — Steemit


Date: Sunday, May 17th

Days until May 26th: 9

My word: Capable



Last week was Mothers' Day, so I gave myself permission to just rest and focus on the joys that have come with being a mom. And though Wisconsin is making national news for the way our politicians and our people tend to jump from one end of the #SaferAtHome spectrum to the other, I still set a goal for myself to feel more capable by May 26th, so that's exactly what I will continue to do. Anyways, it's never been about a date they set. It has always been about mindset.

As I reread my post from two weeks ago, it reminds me that I had an a-ha moment of capability awareness. When I listen within, I get long-term benefits, and when I seek approval outside of myself, it has short-term benefits.

I've noticed this more and more in these past weeks, especially when it comes to this pandemic. With the recent shifts in Covid closures, it's easy to get swept up in everyone else's opinions:

"Businesses are open--there's no need to worry anymore!"
"Don't leave your homes! This isn't like a light switch!"

"Wear your mask!"
"Masks are dangerous!"

"You're always safe if you're wearing your mask!"
"Your mask won't save you! Stay away from each other!"

These polar opposites have become more vocal in Wisconsin as our politicians hammer out their Goldilocks plan and scientists continue to debate the finer points of this virus. But I, for one, have learned about trusting myself and feeling more capable. I have learned that I need to keep listening to what I trust is best for myself and my family.

I will always believe that everyone is entitled to their opinions and their choices, and I've found so many benefits to hearing what everyone in the conversation has to say. However, I am learning about boundaries, especially how much I struggle to set them, and in this case, I am building boundaries that say:

"While we all have access to the same information, much of our life choices are anchored in feelings--in truths that we only hear when we're quiet and only follow when we're brave. And if my life to this point has been any indicator of what lies ahead when you choose what you know versus what others may think is best, then I will continue to feel capable trusting myself."


Stay safe and keep finding ways to embrace your word--we only have one week left!



Here's to trusting the quiet voice inside over the booming voices beyond,


Kristy



Comments

Popular Posts