One Word Update: Sunday, April 19th

Image

In my last blog post, I shared my intentions to focus on a one-word feeling that I hoped to embody on May 26th, Wisconsin's current "end" date for #SaferAtHome.

Since then, I have determined my word: Capable.

I chose this word because, pandemic or not, I can often feel incapable via worries, fears, and doubts, so it just felt right. I LOVE that some of you have shared your words with me and/or through social media. There's something especially vulnerable about making your commitment known to others; I see you breaking out of your comfort zones, and I'm grateful for you!

Each Sunday, I intend to write a short blog post updating my journey toward May 26th, specifically focused on my word and what it grows to mean for me. I encourage you to do the same and invite others along for the ride by commenting in this blog post, on Facebook, or Twitter, as a means for checking in with yourself and letting others know they're not alone.



Date: Sunday, April 19th

Days until May 26th: 37


I've been thinking more deeply about what the word "capable" means to me. Basically, it means you can do something, but when I consider why I chose it, I realize that while I am capable of many things, I am less capable in trying to assure myself that I'm on the right path.

I'm capable of teaching and playing with my boys, but I'm less capable of resting assured that I'm doing "enough".

I'm capable of writing these blog entries, but I'm less capable of being confident when hitting the "post" button.

I'm capable of being grateful and humbled by the way I am able to experience this pandemic (salary provided, my kids are safe, able to secure groceries and stay at home), but I'm less capable when I am guilt-ridden to have those very same things.

I want to be more capable of clearing out my overthinking and trusting myself, and so I'm finding little ways to check in during these trying times. During yoga and meditation today, I repeated the mantra, "I am capable". When the devil and angel appear on my shoulders, telling me to get outside with the boys but then telling me its pointless and to just sit around inside, I remind myself that we are capable of both, which has offered me new motivation. And when I begin to feel the struggle of unpredictability overwhelming me, I pray and read positive stories about how capable others are right now to remind myself that I am not alone and that I'm doing enough.

I hope you're finding out more about your own word's meaning for you and that it's helping to give you a focus as we wait out this storm.


Here's to time spent learning more about ourselves,


Kristy



Comments

Popular Posts