The True Cost of Sacrifice

Every year, January 1st proves to us that there are only two types of people in this world: those who make resolutions and those who don't.

We all have positive intentions, regardless which side we fall. Those who make resolutions have the desire for a change they have yet to make, and those who don't make resolutions have either realized that the changing of a clock does not a new person make, or they've just given up all together...

While I've bounced between both sides through the years, this year, I find myself refusing to make resolutions, and instead, continuing a journey I began years ago. This blog helped to initiate that journey of genuinely absorbing the world around me, reflecting on its application in my life, and sharing the conclusions I've drawn in hopes that they'll offer clarity for me and anyone else who they may resonate with.

One key area I've pondered over lately is the idea of sacrifice. It's a word with many connotations depending on how it's used. You can sacrifice self-care so that you can meet the needs of your kids. You can sacrifice your time in order to help a friend who is struggling. You can even sacrifice that last nacho that has been sitting in the cheese the entire time... now that's love. :)

Regardless of how or why you sacrifice, it seems that our society deems sacrifice as something that is admirable. It is a valued trait that we marvel and celebrate others for and one we wear like a badge of honor when it is noticed in us.

But what if sacrificing costs us far more than what we think we're offering? For instance, when I sacrifice mindful, calm time in my work day, I lead myself to believe that I'm being a productive instructional coach; however, if that same sacrifice puts such a strain on me that I don't truly listen to the people around me, then my sacrifice was in vain. My sacrifice cost me more than I bargained for, and in the end, I still didn't reach the outcome I was hoping for.

Thoreau once said that the true value of cost is money PLUS time spent. Isn't that applicable to sacrifice as well? Maybe...

Sacrifice = Intended Gain - Unintentional Loss

or

Sacrifice = Intended Gain - Value placed on public opinion of said sacrifice - Unintentional losses

No matter how the math pans out, I've come to understand that I'm not here to sacrifice FOR anyone. I'm here to do my best to model what Jesus modeled for me: To love. To apologize. To forgive. And to help others know these same things.

The challenge of life rests in the truth that these things are defined very differently according to each person, and often, people impose their own definitions upon each other. Each of us values personal definitions, and yet, we constantly have to decide if we will stay true to our own interpretations or live by definitions others impose upon us...

The way I see it, God sent His son as a sacrifice. We are not supposed to be the sacrifice... that was already done for us.


Here's to old acquaintances, hopeful resolutions, and an honest look at the impact of our sacrifices,


Kristy




Comments

Popular Posts