A New Season

                                                           Image result for slow down quotes

Summer was beautiful.

It was an opportunity to stretch beyond the predictable and the routine to allow for the unexpected. As an educator, especially, summer reminds me that I am so much more than my career and my role in society. Those months are when I give myself permission to reconnect with those pieces of me that I often neglect when the school year is in full swing.

And the challenge, now that we are two weeks in, is to intentionally find ways to revisit those pieces during the other nine months of the year. Because who wants to live for only 1/3 of their lifetime?

With fall slowly settling in, I'm trying to find ways to incorporate those summer opportunities into this new season but in more simplified versions:

  • Summer tea on the back patio has become tea in a travel mug as I run out the door.
  • A 45-minute yoga class has become a 10-minute Yoga with Adrienne video on YouTube. 
  • Exploring full thoughts in my writing has become short pieces with a narrowed focus.


All of this simplifying initially felt like I was being short-changed. Like I had to find less indulgent ways to get the same bang for my buck. But, honestly, I think these "short shots" have helped me see that there are many times in life when less control of my time, thoughts, etc. is actually a good thing.

When I don't have a million choices in front of me, overthinking goes out the window and priorities more easily rise to the surface.

For instance, when I realized that the boys and I had an open Saturday, I didn't attempt to plan activities and events, because the first week back was draining and busy enough. Instead, we went to Hobby Lobby with the intention to make a one-of-a-kind penguin blanket and begin the brainstorm for Halloween costume-making.

We took our time picking out fabrics and buttons and the boys got a lesson in cutting by the yard. We returned home to pin and sew and make mistakes and take a juice break when it was all taking a bit longer than we hoped. (Mama is not Amazon Prime, boys)

But what came from these unexpected hours of prioritizing quality over quantity and spontaneity over structure?

  • We grew in our sewing skills.
  • They complimented each other on their jobs. (Nice job working the pedal, Drew Drew!)
  • We found that making something from scratch is exhausting but rewarding.
  • There weren't disappointments, because there were no set expectations.


And it always seems to be moments like those when I get a few more hugs and "I love you, Mama" becomes more than just a reply.

As we head into fall, I hope we can take a cue from the season--slow down, be known for a few things that make a big impact, and let go of what no longer serves us.

I'm finding that I have the most control when I make the choice to stop controlling, and I hope you find the same.


Kristy


Comments

Popular Posts