Multipotentialites Unite

Hello, my name is Kristy, and I am a multipotentialite.

Thanks to writer, artist, and TED Talk presenter Emilie Wapnick, I have, ironically, found my one, true identity.


I have come to this conclusion based on the fact that through my life, and especially in the last few weeks, I can always be found doing one of the following... sometimes simultaneously...
  • cooking
  • painting
  • sewing
  • crocheting
  • teacher-type stuff (it's too long of list to break down... trust me...)
  • playing with the boys' toys (usually when they're in the room...)
  • playing sports/ exercising
  • taking photos (and then spending too much time on Shutterfly)
  • and the list goes on and on...

Much like Ms. Wapnick, I, too, have always struggled with the question 'what do you want to be when you grow up?' due to these varied interests that I have.

 Obviously, I eventually found a passion for teaching, but within my career I have always worked to embed these interests within my classroom.

Emilie speaks of a pattern that I have noticed in my life:
  1. You get interested in an area.
  2. You dive in and are all-consumed and it's great!
  3. You hit a point of boredom.
  4. You try to persist anyways (due to all the time & money devoted)
  5. But then you realize "I got this. This isn't challenging anymore."
Yup.

She posed the question: "When did you start associating 'wrong' or 'abnormal' with doing many things?"

It's still a cultural stigma that each person has a 'destiny' to follow through with, and I worry that this is the reason why some of us fear pursuing a passion. It doesn't fit society's idea of a singular fate... and it doesn't necessarily come with insurance benefits!

Since I agree with her, I'm not sure if I'm simply being enabled, but I love the idea that this isn't wrong. It doesn't mean you're non-committal or ADD; it means that you have a wide-array of interests and talents that encourage you--what's not to love?

I started seeing this idea in a cyclical way.

I think some people have broader cycles of potential. They are fantastic at one or two things, and so they continue pursuing them for a longer range of time.

Then I think there are multipotentialites who are quite good in multiple areas, and so we go through shorter cycles of interest & focus. We tend to dip into these areas over and over again as our interest levels bring us back to them.

Three-quarters of the way through her presentation, she focuses on multipotentialite super powers. I can't do justice summarizing all that she shares & specific people she references, so if you find yourself as a multipotentialite, hone in on that portion of the TED talk to reassure your doubts that you are not inch deep, mile wide--you are multi-faceted and in great company.

I used to see myself as jumble of talents & ideas that didn't always fit the mold.

Now I kind of feel Divergent. And it feels pretty good.

http://cdn.playbuzz.com/cdn/f8ca08af-4a53-4001-ad57-f03f20aa0de7/77f37859-f098-4216-832c-c86fc4c2c832.jpg

Here's to being different and maybe a little bit dangerous,


Kristy








Comments

Popular Posts