Finding "Your" Voice


As much as I like gaining new perspective in life, the illness that has consumed me for the past week was not the perspective I was hoping for. It's been a roller coaster, and I'm just waiting for it to end. (side note: I've never been a fan of roller coasters.)

But being the eternal optimist that I am, I've tried to find some silver lining or, minimally, something to help me through the pain...rather than simply praying it away.

Enter K-LOVE.

I've enjoyed this Christian radio station for some time, and I don't always have my radio dialed in to it, but yesterday it just happened to be on as I took the boys to daycare.

Each day, twice a day, they share the "encouraging story of the day". During this segment, they share a call from one of their listeners about a specific incident where he/she saw God in his/her life.

These stories are always inspirational and insightful, and I've come to enjoy starting my days with these reflections.

A year or so ago, I heard a woman's "encouraging story of the day" that really resonated with me, and coincidentally, just when I was in need of perspective, K-LOVE just happened to re-play her story yesterday on my way to work.

I can't even try to do her story justice, so please listen to the short clip here: Encouraging Story of the Day

Based on hearing this story AGAIN, which, by the way, never happens since they have so many listeners calling with stories, I felt inspired to listen to that voice inside that is frequently silenced due to a fear of rejection or negative reaction.

Minutes after hearing this story, I came to an intersection where the street lights were down. An officer had parked his car with lights flashing to alert arriving traffic.

This same officer was out of his car, using any makeshift stool necessary to open the metal stop signs. It was obvious that this wasn't the easiest task.

And though this wasn't a news-worthy event, I felt that voice inside telling me to thank him. And so after coming to a complete stop, I shouted a "thank you" his way.

In true no need to thank me, I'm here to serve fashion, he smiled and gave a small nod.

That was all I needed to know that I, too, need to allow that voice to speak when it wants to speak, because though it leaves as my voice, I wasn't the one who put it there.

The take-away: "What people think is not why we're here."


Here's to the freedom that comes in the realization that you're simply the messenger,


Kristy


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts